Saturday, November 22, 2008

Giving Thanks!

"In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
I Thess. 5:18
This is a difficult command to live out every day. In a recent time where I had been complaining instead of being thankful for what I have been given, I wrote down what I’m thankful for. After I finished a long list, I realized my past complaints were insignificant. All that I have in this world was given to me by God. James 1:17 “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above…” So how can I not thank God for anything that I am given.
What should I be thankful for? Well, first, God gives me his love and by grace he has saved me from eternal death. He has given me a husband who admires me, respects my thoughts, appreciates me for who I am and gives me Godly advice. It was my husband who shared a verse with me when I was complaining about helping a neighbor Colossians 3:23 “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” This helped me to see that I am to do things unto God and be thankful that I can serve others for Him. He has also given me children and parents who love me. God has provided all the material needs that are necessary (notice I said “needs”, not money, riches, etc.). In addition, he has given me an understanding that He is in control and will work everything out according to His plan.
When should I be thankful? I wish that in all times I was thankful like Joseph after he had been thrown into a pit, sold into slavery, thrown in jail. When Joseph saw his brothers again and his brothers asked for forgiveness, he wept and told them that “what they meant for evil, God meant for good.” (Gen. 50:20). He comforted them and spoke kindly to them. He realized that in the big picture of things, God worked out everything according to His purpose. So when we are in troubling times that seem impossible, we need to remember that only God knows the Whole Picture. He will work things out according to HIS plan.
When I am feeling like the circumstances of this life are getting me down, I thank God that He is there to be my Savior, Sustainer, Provider, Protector, Comforter, etc. God is refining me to become the person He wants me to be, not the person I want to be. Romans 5:3-5 “And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” Refinement is painful, but in the end, something beautiful will be seen. My eyes need to be set on what is above, not what is here on earth. I need to try to not get downtrodden by the circumstances but to live for God and He will take care of the rest.
So at this time of giving thanks, I look around and see God’s wonderful creation. I can see him working in even the little things around me. And I have the peace of God which surpasses all understanding. Thanks be to God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment